I like to cook. Sometimes my daughter likes to eat.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Arianna's Fantastic Frosting (vegan)

I am not a baker. I love to chop and season and baste/braise/grill/roast/steam and stir-fry, tasting as I go. I do not like to carefully measure and then give it all up to the kitchen gods.

I have serious control issues with baking.

So cupcake season, ie MZ's birthday, is not my favorite time of year. Last week I made 3-dozen mini cupcakes using the Cook's Illustrated buttercream recipe for frosting. I simmered and took the temperature and carefully timed each step. And, meh. A bit too fluffy for my taste, not that I could stand to eat it once I fully understood why they call it Butter Cream.

And then I tried to use it again a day later and it curdled and I realized I would have to beat it again and I threw it away. 

And then I called Arianna the Crafty, my clever friend who can make ANYTHING, from Star of David beads to snowflake tie-dye tees to this fabulous frosting, which takes color beautifully, spreads smoothly and can be put to use after chilling with a light massage to the pastry bag.

It has good mouthfeel and isn't too sweet and all in all it's my new favorite frosting. Now if the cupcakes would just bake themselves I'd be set...

1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 generous T vanilla
1/4 cup soy mil, as necessary

Sift sugar. Beat first 4 ingredients together till fluffy. Adjust fats in equal measure to reach desired level of sweetness (I added more fats by T-fulls as I found it a bit sweet at first). You'll know when it's fluffy, it just changes like magic. Add soy milk if necessary if it seems to thick. Beat some more.

Color as desired, or divide and color pink and purple like we did!

This makes enough to frost 3 dozen full-size cupcakes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home