I like to cook. Sometimes my daughter likes to eat.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lovely Leftovers: Spinach Rice Gratin from 101 Cookbooks

I love 101 Cookbooks, I almost always want to make whatever Heidi sends out, although sometimes it takes me a while to get to the recipe. This one is in such perfect alignment with my refrigerator that I made it immediately -- and was not disappointed. It's easy to make and the results are savory and nutritious, and my refrigerator is a better place for it. Plus it was delicious and filling straight out of the fridge as I dashed out this morning.

I used a combination of spinach, baby chard and turnip greens because that's what I had from my CSA box, and I added an extra egg because the mixture seemed dry to me. I also used black oil-cured olives, but I think any flavorful olives would add that salty dimension such a simple combination requires. I was also skittish about the raw onions -- would they be too crisp, too strong? But no, it works well and added lovely pink flecks. And finally, I added the extra pine nuts on top, along with a light grating of cheese, before baking. It came out lovely.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home