I like to cook. Sometimes my daughter likes to eat.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pesach Granola

I find breakfast the toughest meal during Passover. Potatoes or quinoa at dinner make matzoh sandwiches easier to take at lunch, but nothing makes up for the loss of cereal, oatmeal, bolani and R's French toast during the 8 days of Passover. I can't drink a smoothie every day and KFP cereal is just blech.

But this -- this is delicious! It's adapted from a recipe that appeared in the J.'s FB feed a week ago. I adjusted the oil downward and modified the spices, nuts and seeds to suit our tastes. I can't believe how satisfying it is, I can't wait to try it with yogurt and blueberries tomorrow morning!

1 lb. matzah farfel
1/2 c. oil
1 c. brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 c. water
1/2 cup each: sliced almonds, chopped pecans, raw pumpkin seeds and unsweetened coconut
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground cardamom
1/2 cup chopped cranberries
1/2 cup chopped dates

Melt butter with oil, water, and brown sugar. Add remaining ingredients through the cardamom. Spread on two jellyroll sheetpans lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, turning over every 15 minutes. The middle will stay slightly wet as the corners brown so be sure to move the mixture around the pan. After removing pans from the oven, use a spatula to mix the chopped cranberries and dates into the granola while it is still hot, right in the jellyroll pan. The dates may clump when you chop them, separate a bit as you add them and add in stages.

Allow to cool completely and store in a sealed glass jar, plastic or tin container. This recipe makes enough to share with your friends and family!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Taly said...

Thank you for this fantastic Passover recipe! I made a double quantity -- I think the friends who wanted to make it together didn't trust that a single recipe would have been plenty to share. It would have, though this way I got to share with some friends at work and everyone loved it. Might have something to do with the quantity of butter and sugar. I skipped the pumpkin seeds because I didn't have them, and the coconut because half my audience were not fans. Also swapped cherries for the cranberries.

4:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home